New Advanced Nurse Practitioner
Claire Wright, one of our practice nurses, has recently qualified as an Advanced Nurse Practitioner. From the start of August Claire will work alongside the doctors in her new role.
An advanced Nurse Practitioner is an experienced nurse who has undergone specialist (masters degree level) training, to enable them to diagnose, prescribe and refer in the way that a doctor does. In fact, they can deal with nearly all the problems that a GP can deal with, and most patients would not be able to tell that they had had a consultation with a nurse practitioner rather than a doctor.
There are differences however. Unlike a doctor, nurse practitioners are not qualified to deal with pregnancy related issues, (but they can see pregnant mothers for other ailments whilst they are pregnant, such for for infections or indigestion. If you happen to see our nurse practitioner for a problem she cannot deal with she will seek advice from the doctors, and in future, for the same problem she will advice you to see the doctor instead.
Problems you could consult a nurse practitioner about
- Infections - such as chest infection, sinus infections, ear infections, skin infections, urine infection, Diarrhoea and vomiting etc.
- Skin complaints - such as unknown rash or spots, eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, moles, lumps or bumps
- Mental Health problems - such as stress, anxiety, depression, panic attacks, phobias
- Joint Problems - such as arthritis, painful shoulders, bad knees, back pains, gout etc.
- Gynaecological Problems - such as bothersome periods, period pains
- Urinary conditions - such as incontinence, urine infections, prolapse
- Breast Problems - such as breast pain, abnormal discharges or breast lumps
- Lumps and bumps - such as undiagnosed lumps, hernias, cysts
- Breathing Problems - such as breathlessness, asthma, COPD
- Hormone Problems - such as Diabetes and thyroid problems
- Heart problems - such as chest pain, angina, palpitations and irregularities of the heart beat
- Headaches, tiredness, fatigue and sleep problems
- Fits, faints and tremors
- Numbness and tingling
- ...and many many more things